Saturday, January 2, 2010

Another version of LA County Art Museum Quilt

5 comments:

  1. Reference quilt by Lorene Çhaffee posted Dec 31, 09
    This is a great pattern for practicing your fabric combination skills.
    If you have a copy of "The American Quilt" by Roderick Kiracofe, there is a full page picture of the original on page 167.
    Evening Star, Summit, New Jersey, cottons pieced, 85"x91"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the description I wrote of the third quilt when it appeared in my 2008 show: Wallflowers was inspired by an anonymous quilt from New Jersey, circa 1890, featured on the cover of the October 1993 Quilter’s Newsletter Magazine. The star block used in this quilt is called Evening Star or Variable Star. Paula M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found myself intrigued by the dynamic use of bold florals in the unpieced setting blocks – a departure from the usual focus on the pieced blocks. Some of the decorator fabrics used in the dominant setting blocks are from my sister Lea’s friend Marcia Franklin in Reno, NV.

    I began piecing the stars early in 1999. I found the perfect border fabric of twisted florals at Mama’s Log House’s booth at Belle Point Quilter’s Guild annual retreat at Ferndale in September ’99. I was there teaching a day long snails trail class. Because I’d twisted my ankle in August I was walking with a cane. Finding the perfect border cheered my spirits!

    I pieced the top on my 1941 Singer Featherweight and quilted it on my 1971 White Sewing Machine. The fabric mostly came from Quilt Your Heart Out. Not for sale. 66”x 70”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Above further comment and history from Paula.

    ReplyDelete